Innocent bystander dead, 5 others — including 2 teens — injured after shooting inside Bronx subway station in scary rush-hour scene

Innocent bystander dead, 5 others ncluding 2 teens injured after shooting inside Bronx subway station in scary rush-hour scene

The Bronx subway shooting incident on Monday afternoon resulted in the death of a 35-year-old man who appeared to be an innocent bystander. At least five others, including two teenagers, were injured during the incident at the Mount Eden Avenue station. Witnesses described a chaotic scene as gunfire erupted following a fight between two groups of teenagers aboard a northbound 4 train during rush hour.

The 35-year-old victim, whose identity has not been released pending family notification, was fatally shot in the chest. The other victims, including a 14-year-old girl, a 15-year-old boy, a 29-year-old woman, and two men aged 71 and 28, were hospitalized in stable condition.

Authorities believe the shooting stemmed from a dispute between the two groups aboard the train, which escalated as the train pulled into the station. At least one individual pulled out a gun and began shooting, causing panic among passengers. The gunfire spilled onto the platform, resulting in injuries to both members of the feuding groups and innocent bystanders.

NYPD Transit Chief Michael Kemper emphasized that the incident was not a random shooting but rather a targeted dispute between the two groups. The motive for the altercation remains unclear at this time.

Witnesses described scenes of chaos and fear as they fled from the gunfire. Luis Rodriguez, who was on the train, described the situation as “total pandemonium,” highlighting the fear instilled in passengers. Another witness reported seeing three teenage boys on the train tracks following the shooting.

Law enforcement officials have vowed to apprehend the perpetrator, with Deputy Commissioner of Public Information Tarik Sheppard issuing a warning to the shooter to turn themselves in. Meanwhile, trains on the 4 line bypassed the Mount Eden Avenue station as the investigation continued.

Governor Kathy Hochul directed the MTA to provide full support to the NYPD during the investigation, expressing gratitude to the first responders working to address the situation. The incident has once again underscored concerns about violence on the city’s subway system, prompting calls for swift action and consequences for those responsible.